Thursday, January 19, 2012

Pass or Fail: The Dark Journey Rises

A friend posted a trailer on facebook yesterday, and gave me an idea. I'm going to take two trailers for upcoming movies that have one thing in common, (like an actor, a genre, a writer, etc.) and I'm going to judge them on how good I think they are. Because a trailer's main goal is to make you want to see a movie, they will either pass, or fail based on how good I think it looks. I figured I would start with a movie I'm about to lose my mind waiting for, if you couldn't tell by the way I've been plastering it all over the internet since last summer. The common element in this case is Michael Caine.

Pass: The Dark Knight Rises




This trailer has everything! Clips that bring up questions that you're anxious to get the answers to (Why is Bruce in prison? Why does that moving crew not like that furniture? Why are my pants all covered with urine?), introductions to new characters that look awesome (mmmmm Anne Hathaway), shady politics, violence, explosions, Pittsburgh Steelers' veteran receiver (and Dancing with the Stars winner) Hines Ward being amazing, and, of course, BATMAN! I find it best to hold you breath until the trailer is over.

Fail: Journey 2: the Mysterious Island



Here is a sequel to a film I didn't know anybody even liked. Brendan Fraser was in the first one, but he turned this down, and doesn't seem to be into doing any sequels right now (for reference, see "The Mummy 3"... or better yet, don't). This makes me wonder how truly bad this film is, because we're talking about the man that yes to "Furry Vengence". I have no idea why Michael Caine decided this was a good choice for him. My best guess is he put A LOT of money on the Packers to win the Super Bowl. Then we have Vanessa Hudgens, whose best credit is an action film that is being called one of the worst films of 2011. Luis Guzman, who I generally like, is in here as the "comedic relief", complete with fall gags, stuff being thrown on him, and... smelling his armpits? (exhausted sigh) I don't even want to talk about how disappointed I am in Dwayne Johnson.


Extra Pass: The Trip


Here is a clip from a film, starring Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon, that is incredibly funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment