Tuesday, January 3, 2012

My Week With Marilyn (2011)

I didn't like the new lyrics to "Candle in the Wind" either.
I don't think I enjoy the phenomenon that is Marilyn Monroe as much as most people do. That being said, "My Week with Marilyn" is a fine film. Though it was based on a true story, the plot wasn't as interesting as I had hoped. There were only so many times that I wanted to see a drugged up Monroe not show for filming, and get yelled at by Laurence Olivier, played marvelously here by Kenneth Branagh, and the writer seems to have found that number. I do have to say that Michelle Williams is more beautiful and charming as Marilyn Monroe than Marilyn Monroe was as herself. Which made her depressing antics more bearable. I did think this was a good film for what it was, and director Simon Curtis did put a wonderful cast in place.

Grade: B+



Starring: Michelle Williams, Eddie Redmayne, Dame Judi Dench
Director: Simon Curtis
Writer(s): Adrian Hodges - Book: Colin Clark
RT: 99 min
Rating: R for some language

No comments:

Post a Comment