Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Star Wars: Episode I - the Phantom Menace (1999)

All for I, and I in 3D!
I didn't despise this film as much I remembered. "Episode I" isn't without all of the problems I saw 13 years ago, but they don't seem near as bad, except Jar Jar. As much as Lucas likes to "fix" his movies, why couldn't he just re-dub his voice? Some of the acting is still really, really bad, and the dialogue hard to listen to. The little twists he put in to tie the films together still don't all make sense (Anakin built C-3PO anyone?), but I enjoyed it more than I remembered. Maybe it was seeing it with my nephew. Maybe it was the podracing in 3D. Maybe it was a little more than a dozen years to let the wounds heal from seeing my favorite film franchise dragged down to this level. Who knows? Whatever it is, it's still Star Wars.

Grade: C
3D: Not available in 2D
Easter Egg: No


Starring: Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor, Kenny Baker, Anthony Daniels
Director: George Lucas
Writer(s): George Lucas
RT: 136 min
Rating: PG for sci-fi action/violence

No comments:

Post a Comment