Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Pass or Fail: Manson's Got it Covered

Do you remember the 90's? Of course you do! Tom Hanks could do no wrong, gas prices were reasonable, and Marilyn Manson was going to turn the world into an orgy of Satan worship. Well, all those things have changed, and now, not only is Marilyn Manson not a threat to the unsuspecting public, but he's okay for mass consumption! Directors, or producers, or trailer companies, or whoever the hell puts these thing together these days, have decided that Manson is the best way to start shilling their products. Here are two trailers that use their music, and more specifically, these are two covers off of the 1995 breakthrough album, "Smells Like Children".

Pass: Wrath of the Titans




I reserve every right to wrong about both of these films. Honestly, I wasn't big on the remake of "Clash of the Titans". It had its moments of pure action goodness, but overall felt a little hollow. "Wrath" looks pretty awesome, and I'm shocked to hear myself saying this. Maybe it is the way the trailer effectively used Manson's cover of The Eurythmics' "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)", or maybe it's the giant fire monster wreaking everybody's day. I don't know what it is, but it sure isn't Sam Worthington. The stakes look higher, the creatures look cooler, and Liam Neeson is amazing (and slowly becoming the hero of this blog). I can't explain it, but this trailer really makes me want to see this movie.

Fail: Cabin in the Woods




I hope I'm wrong about this movie. I really want to be wrong. Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard doing a horror seems right, but looks so wrong. The trailer seems like they went down a check list to make sure they didn't miss any cliches. Attractive teens taking a trip? Check. Creepy local hillbillies? Check. Remote place in the middle of nowhere? Check! Seemingly meta references to how things are done in horror movies? Check! I'm going to see this one without question, but not because of this trailer. All this trailer makes me want to do is rewatch "Angel" and "Firefly" to get ready for the spectacle that will be "The Avengers".

Extra Pass: Clone High: This isn't a cover, but holy crap is this funny! And yes, that is actually the voice of Marilyn Manson singing. Thank you MTV for at least giving us one season of this joyous show!



No comments:

Post a Comment