Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Cabin in the Woods (2012)

Into the Woods
I actually failed this trailer. I saw the names Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard involved, and I still failed it. I'm glad to say that I was mostly wrong. The trailer was composed primarily of the straight forward "teenagers getting picked off one by one" style horror movie, and had next to nothing of the subplot (I won't it ruin here, if you haven't seen it). The whole twist on this film is the only thing that saves it from being a bad cross between "The Evil Dead" and "Scream",  which is what the trailer led me to believe it was. The five college students don't really add anything to the film, except for Fran Kranz, who plays Marty, and, at times, drag down most of what the rest of the film is trying to accomplish. Their performances are flat and uninteresting, but with the characters being the secondary focus of the movie, the lack of interest in them helps sometimes. The writing, when it is at its peaks, is inspired, and absolutely hysterical, and reminiscent of some of the better episodes of Whedon's "Buffy the Vampire Slayer". I wouldn't rank this among the best of the horror-comedy genre, but it isn't a waste.

Grade: B
3D: N/A
Easter Egg: Disturbingly No


Starring: Richard Jenkins, Bradley Whitford, Fran Kranz
Director: Drew Goddard
Writer(s): Joss Whedon & Drew Goddard
RT: 95 min
Rating: R for strong bloody horror violence and gore, language, drug use and some sexuality/nudity

No comments:

Post a Comment