Thursday, January 29, 2015

2015: My 15 Must-See Movies!

Another year, another round of movies I can't help but want to see. This year has so many films that I'm incredibly excited to see that I couldn't find a way to count them down properly, so I decided to just go ahead and list them based on their chronological release dates.

Jupiter Ascending (February 6th)


I'm a little sad to see this get a February release, because it looks more like a summer blockbuster, and the Wachowskis have a pretty decent track record outside of the two "The Matrix" sequels. This tale of a woman thrust into the middle of outer space politics, because of her destiny to become Queen of the universe, looks thrilling and fun in all of the right ways. Mila Kunis hasn't let me down on screen yet, and Channing Tatum has been growing on me as of late. He is certainly achieving the leading man status that he has earned.

Maps to the Stars (February 27th)


What is not to love about David Cronenberg? He is a dynamic director that makes jarring films about obsession and depravity unlike anyone else. He manages to craft strikingly visual stories with perfect performances from his casts. Julianne Moore has already scored a Golden Globe nod for her performance, and though that doesn't mean everything, it at least means something. I'm absolutely giddy.

Chappie (March 6th)



Neill Blomkamp has made two very excellent films so far, and this looks like it could be another very excellent film. Dev Patel creates an army of law enforcement robots, and when falls into the hands of a couple criminals, he becomes the child in a bizarre family unit as he becomes more sentient. The trailers have been spectacular, and when I see them paired onto just about every movie I have seen so far this year, I become more and more anxious. March 6th isn't coming soon enough!

The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (March 6th)


Go ahead. Laugh. The first was so damn charming, that I am willing to get my hopes up entirely too high for the second go around. I also love that I have two Dev Patel films on this list, and they are both coming out on the same day. Look at him Bollywood dancing his way straight into your heart, you cynical cretin. All of the gang is back, the characters still living at least, and they seem to be in great spirits, and Richard Gere is being added to the mix. And, oh, is romance budding for Dame Judi Dench and Bill Nighy in this installment? I'm absolutely giddy (but in a different way from the Cronenberg movie)!

Furious 7 (April 3rd)



So, am I the only who thinks that the "Fast and Furious" franchise has gotten really fun in the last few movies? The first was "meh", the next two were plain awful, and four through six have been gravity defying thrill rides with phenomenal climactic action sequences. I will admit that I am mostly putting this on the list to see how they handle the death of the star of five of the six films. Though, adding Jason Statham, Kurt Russell, and Djimon Hounsou to the already terrific ensemble doesn't hurt either.

Avengers: Age of Ultron (May 1st)


In 2014, Marvel produced the two best films in their cinematic canon, and Joss Whedon is bringing the darkness with this sequel. I know, I know. I said the same thing about "Iron Man 3" a couple of years ago, and we ended up with that annoying kid for comic relief, but we are talking about Joss Whedon here. This man will kill any character at any time, because screw your emotions. The cast has grown in great ways: James Spader as Ultron (pictured above), Elizabeth Olsen as Scarlet Witch, Aaron Taylor-Johnson as Quicksilver, and Paul Bettany comes out of the computer to play Vision. I'm absolutely giddy (but, again, in a completely different way from the other two)!

Mad Max: Fury Road (May 15th)


I'm not even going to write a paragraph. If you can't understand my excitement after watching this bat-shit crazy trailer, then you have no pulse.

Tomorrowland (May 22nd)



Brad Bird! He is finally following up "Mission: Impossible 4", and the teaser for it looks fantastic. We are talking about the man who gave us "The Iron Giant" and "The Incredibles"! These are two of the greatest family films I have had the pleasure of seeing in the theatres. His films are emotional roller coasters that gain vast critical praise, and deservedly so.

Jurassic World (June 12th)


There is something about wanting to see this movie that confuses me. The teaser was fun, but not great, and the story sounds a little on the, "Didn't we already see this in JP3?" side. On the plus side: Chris Pratt is becoming a welcome addition to everything (is awesome!). I will place this on the "Must-see" out of complete morbid curiosity, a 22 year devotion to the brand, and DINOSAURS! Jeezy Creezy, people! There are dinosaurs in this movie! And speaking of dinosaur movies...

Inside Out (June 19th) / The Good Dinosaur (November 27th)


Two Pixar films this year? Yes, please! "Inside Out" is a story of the emotional center of the brain of a preteen girl, and "The Good Dinosaur" is the troubled production that we didn't get last year because John Lasseter replaced director Bob Peterson ("Up") with Peter Sohn ("Partly Cloudy"). Far be it from me to start suggesting that Pixar takes a cue from its Disney sister company, Marvel, and start releasing two films every year, but if both of these films are astoundingly great, I think they should at least consider it. Speaking of Marvel...

Ant-Man (July 17th)


I am going to be honest. The first trailer for this movie is a little underwhelming, and the fact that one of my favorite film makers, Edgar Wright, was forced from the project, doesn't make me feel at ease. With that being said, Ant-Man is such a fun character to explore, that I hope this film is as much fun as some of the other Marvel titles that have been coming out as of late. Director Peyton Reed ("Down With Love") has a solid cast in place, and the writers, Adam McKay and Paul Rudd, were said to have only tweaked Wright's script. I guess we'll see.

Untitled Cold War Spy Thriller (October 16th)


Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks are doing another movie together. Spielberg's last three films made it onto my favorite films lists in the years they were released. Alan Alda and Amy Ryan are also in the cast, but it is the inclusion of Billy Magnussen that has put a little sunshine into my day. His performance in "Into the Woods" was so good, that I'm excited to see what he is capable of in a more serious role. It was also co-written by the Coen Brothers. They have two screenwriting Oscars! I half hope that "Untitled Cold War Spy Thriller" is the actual title of this movie, because it is such a wonderfully goofy title.

Spectre (November 6th)


Does everybody else remember how great "Skyfall" was? If not, you should really look into, because that movie was balls-to-the-wall amazing! And in case you were wondering, here it is on my favorite films of 2012. Sam Mendes is back at the helm, Daniel Craig is back as Bond, and John Logan is writing it again! Mendes has seen fit to add two-time Academy Award winner, Christoph Waltz, as the film's big baddie, and Dave Bautista (fresh off "Guardians of the Galaxy") have been been added to the cast, along with Monica Bellucci as the new Bond Girl.

The Hateful Eight (November 13th)



Quentin Tarantino, at one point, pulled this film from his slate, because it leaked online. Now it is back in existence, and features QT regulars like Samuel L. Jackson, Tim Roth, Zoe Bell, and Michael Madsen, and a host of other great actors including Kurt Russell, Walton Goggins, Jennifer Jason Leigh, and Channing Tatum. The plot sounds interesting: a group of assassins get stuck in a blizzard, and begin turning on each other. If anyone can make something that simple interesting, it would be Tarantino. And it has a title that is right up my alley. This may be one of the best of the year. I hope.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (December 18th)


Ok. I know I said I couldn't count them down properly, but how could this not be the number one on my list. It's "Star Wars"! Please save all the prequel hate. It's directed by J.J. Abrams! Please save all of your lens flare hate. It has the original cast back! IT WAS CO-WRITTEN BY LAWRENCE KASDAN!!! I'm flying really close to a dangerous form of optimism with this movie, and I couldn't care less. IT'S "STAR WARS"!!!

What did I miss? What are you excited to see that I didn't put on here? What aren't you excited to see that made it?

No comments:

Post a Comment