Friday, January 11, 2013

2013: My 15 Must See Movies!

The new year has arrived, and with it comes a crop of new films for me to hate! With all of the misguided children's films, remakes, sequels, and "Hunger Games", I know that I am going to have a lot to hate. So, I thought I would take the time to look at a few films this year that I hope to not hate so much.

15. Ender's Game (November 1)


I want to be more excited about this movie. It has Harrison Ford and Ben Kingsley. It has Asa Butterfield (the boy who stole my heart playing Hugo). It is based off of the Orson Scott Card novel of the same name. So why is this film not higher on the list? Writer/director Gavin Hood, that's why. This is the man who made "X-Men Origins: Wolverine". Do you remember how bad that film was? Of course you do! You're on imdb.com right now posting in its comments section! I'm going to call this a must see, but go in with very low expectations.

14. World War Z (June 21)


I'll be honest. I don't know much about World War Z, but with Damon Lindelof ("Lost") and Matthew Michael Carnahan ("The Kingdom") handling the script based on Max Brooks' novel, I'm curious. I'm also thrilled to see Marc Foster, director of "The Kite Runner" and "Stranger Than Fiction", taking up the directing duties. I've been a little weary of zombies as of late, but much like "The Walking Dead", this could help bring me back around.

13. Monsters University (June 21)


"Cars 2" was a disappointment and "Brave" was entertaining, but not Pixar quality great (I still gave it A because I like Scots and Bears). "Monsters, Inc." stands atop my list of Pixar's best with "The Incredibles" and "Toy Story". It was a magical film that captured my heart, and will have a special place there for a long time to come. Now there is a prequel coming out, and I'm not sure it will be near as great, but I'm willing to say that it is a must see because it has both of its leads, and its main antagonist, returning. So, hopefully this equals that, and doesn't start shaking my faith in Pixar to the core.

12. Oldboy (October 11)

After watching "Red Hook Summer", a wonderful return to form for Spike Lee, I'm ready to see him take on another big project like "Inside Man", his most high profile, and thrilling, film. This time he will be making the American version of the manga "Oldboy", the story of a man imprisoned for 15 year, with no explanation, only to be released to take his bloody, bloody revenge. Josh Brolin, Samuel L. Jackson, and Sharlto Copley
are in the cast, and Mark Protosevich ("Thor") are handling the script. Lee is one of my favorite directors, and I can't wait for this one.

11. Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (October 4)


I loved, loved, LOVED "Sin City". Robert Rodriguez continuously makes great popcorn entertainment, and I think the first film was among his best. I wish this film would have made it to theaters about 6 years ago, but if the main cast returning for the second installment means anything, I think I can forgive that. Joining in on the writing side of things this time is Oscar-winner William Monahan ("The Departed"), and joining the cast are Joseph Gordon Levitt and Josh Brolin, among some casting changes including Dennis Haysbert filling in for the late, and oh-so-great, Michael Clark Duncan. I can't wait!

10. Oz: the Great and Powerful (March 8)


Am I wrong to be excited about everything that Sam Raimi? HELL NO! Forget "Spider-man 3" (A film I'm still sure he tanked on purpose), and think about how amazing "Drag Me to Hell" was. Because it was! After 30 years of great film making Raimi is doing a fantasy film based on the work of the legendary L. Frank Baum. James Franco and three of the finest young actresses (Mila Kunis, Michelle Williams and Rachel Weisz) are heading the cast while Bruce Campbell and Ted Raimi are on the cast list (YAY!!!). Sadly we won't see the Delta 88, but I think this will a great film nonetheless.

9. 42 (April 12)


I love baseball. I love history. I love the history of baseball! Now Brian Helgeland ("L.A. Confidential", "Payback") is writing and directing a biopic about the great Jackie Robinson. Helgeland has cast a television character actor named Chadwick Boseman to play Robinson. more exciting than that is Harrison Ford playing the Brooklyn Dodgers' manager, Branch Rickey, who signed Robinson. This is two films with Harrison Ford this year. Thank you movie gods!

8. Elysium (August 9)


Finally! Neill Blomkamp is following up his surprise 2009 hit, "District 9". A film set in 2159 about a ruined earth, and the struggling masses forced to live on it, while the wealthy get to live off planet. Matt Damon and Jodie Foster are heading up a cast with some depth. This is the project I have been waiting for, and I hope that the social undertones speaking on class structure and the mistreatment of the poor are every bit as gripping as Blomkamp's allegory of South African apartheid.

7. Iron Man 3/Thor: The Dark World (May 3)


For all intents and purposes, I'm considering this two parts of one movie. The Marvel build up to last year's "The Avengers" got a little rocky at times, "Iron Man 2" and "Thor" being the rockiness, but Joss Whedon steered the franchise back on course, and "Iron Man 3" looks utterly fantastic. New director, and co-writer, Shane Black looks like he took a cue from Christopher Nolan, and is going dark and edgy with the franchise, and it has Guy Pearce in it! I have not seen a trailer for "The Dark World", but television director Alan Taylor is taking the reigns from Kenneth Branagh, and his work on "Game of Thrones" alone should give him enough credit to try to take on Thor.

6. The World's End (October 25)



I enjoyed both "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World" and "Paul", but Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg, and Nick Frost belong with each other. Their genre-bending madness has been the best in television and film for over a decade now. This story about five friends trying to recreate a pub crawl from twenty years earlier, only to become the best hope for man's survival, sounds like the kind of gem I need in my year. Did I mention it co-stars Martin Freeman ("Sherlock", "The Hobbit"), Paddy Considine ("In America", "Hot Fuzz") and Rosamund Pike ("Wrath of the Titans")? Well, it does!

5. The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug


I was terrified going to see the first installment of "The Hobbit" trilogy last month. It did end up on my must see list from last year, but what could you do with such a short novel over three films? I am happy to say that it turned out to be every bit as good as Peter Jackson's other trilogy. Now Watson (Martin Freeman) and Sherlock (Benedict Cumberbatch) are going to be going head to head in Lonely Mountain as Bilbo and Smaug. I really think that adding a talking dragon into the mix of an already awesome film could only make it better. Right?

4. Man of Steel (June 14)


I don't care what anyone says, I love Zack Snyder's work. "Watchmen" was a worthy adaptation that updated a few things for film that worked. "300" was exciting and engaging. So, there is more than a good chance that "Man of Steel" is going to be an excellent piece of work. He has a real knack at taking adapted material, especially comics, to a higher level, and making wildly entertaining films. On the other hand, as much as I enjoyed the failure that was "Sucker Punch", I realize all of its faults, and I just hope that he doesn't make the same mistakes.

3. Pacific Rim (July 12)


The man who directed the brilliant "Pan's Labyrinth", Guillermo Del Toro... swoon, is directing a film about giant monsters, known as Kaiju, and the giant robots that fight them. Del Toro is stepping into what I would essentially call Michael Bay territory, and I can't see him not knocking this one out of the park. The lead is also being played by Charlie Hunnam (Sons of Anarchy), who has some seriously impressive range, and Del Toro favorite Ron Perlman will also be in it. Let's hope this goes well.

2. Star Trek Into Darkness (May 17)


It has been four years since the crew of the Enterprise last took to the final frontier, and I'm glad they took their time, because this looks amazing. J.J. Abrams rebooted the franchise with supreme gusto, and if this film is half as dark and foreboding as this trailer makes it look, it will be a worthy sequel. The cast is expanding in exciting ways as well: Benedict Cumberbatch (Sherlock), Peter Weller (RoboCop), and Heather Lagenkamp (A Nightmare on Elm Street). And what is happening in this picture?! This is seriously going to be a great summer kickoff!

1. Jurassic Park 3D (April 5)


I'm not usually a sucker for re-releasing films in 3D, BUT THIS IS JURASSIC PARK!!!! Dinosaurs! IN 3D! I must have seen the film at least 4 times at theatres in 1993, and I will shell out dollar after dollar to see it to see it at least 4 more times. I love Spielberg's groundbreaking adaptation of the Michael Crichton novel more than just about any film I ever have. If you are not excited about this, then you must have no soul, because this is easily one of the best films of the 90's. NAY! Ever made! 

No comments:

Post a Comment